Rca Tech Support

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Wednesday, 9 March 2011

The ship continues.. Projected history update

Posted on 12:07 by Unknown
So the battle between Polys and Nurbs continues..(wow! a slightly geeky comment there.) I think as a result of my efforts today I have realised Nurbs are far more efficient for this ship in terms of speed of getting them made, and quality of the result.

So first, I completed the Polygon ship as much as possible. While it looks fairly good, I was sure that Nurbs would end up looking smoother. Pictured at the top here is my latest update on the Polygon ship. As you can see, I made several lines around the Polygon ship and the result at the bottom of the picture is what happened when I lofted the lines producing a Nurbs ship..



Yeah.. a bit of a monstrosity! I think its probably because a lot of my control vertex points on the curves are not consistant from curve to curve. Then, I was struck with a moment of inspiration. I had watched a tutorial on stitching Nurb surfaces earlier and produced a quick sketch of how I could make two different Nurb Patches - one for the beginning and one for the end of the ship, and then stitch them together.



As a result of this, I tried a quick test which took around 10-15 minutes and I was happy to see that it was possible to make a Nurbs ship using this method. Not only did I do it a hundred times faster then my Poly ship, it has come our looking much smoother :-)



Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in 3D, Modelling, Projected History | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So it begins...the third year! My plan of action..
    Third year. The final year. Our last year. (On our Digital Animation BA for those of you who may not know what I'm on about.) Its a litt...
  • Post progress
    I have been working on this quite a bit over the last week. First, I looked at the animatic to figure out the timing of the actual shooting ...
  • Projected History.. My ship is now in ship shape! Woo!
    This project has been chugging along happily in the background alongside all our other projects and so it has taken a while but.. the ship i...
  • Inspirational! Oktapodi
    Love this!  It was made in Paris at Goblins School of the Image and won 13 awards. As far as I can tell it was a collaboration between 6 pe...
  • Cinematography - experimenting and time lapse
    I got out a P2 camcorder from the media desk on Friday to have a good play with it over the weekend.. One of the first things I wanted to tr...
  • cool light tracing animation
    Just came across this little gem on youtube.. Amazing! love the look of it - the contrast of bright colours against a dark background..
  • Rap video
    Heres a nice little rap video I came across.. I like the clever use of typography and colour synchronising smoothly with the lyrics. Its a b...
  • History and Theory of Animation - All my work so far
    Find below PDF files containing my first year essay, my second year Literature reviews, Film review and Dissertation proposal. The Historica...
  • Negotiated Brief - Music Video
    For this we are given free reign and can do anything we like (so long as it is related to animation.) This is a great chance for me to explo...
  • Fin. "The Incomplete Activist" with CreativeConnection
    My role As it was a small creative team, my job was not restricted into one small area, but traversed many roles. I was bought in from the s...

Categories

  • 2D
  • 3D
  • animatic
  • animation technology
  • Annecy animation festival
  • audio visual
  • Backgrounds
  • Barista
  • Cinematography
  • CND competition
  • compositing
  • Creative Connection
  • design/pre-production
  • Dissertation
  • editing
  • experimental
  • final Art Foundation project
  • History and Theory
  • inspiration
  • Keeping It Brief
  • Kernel
  • Kickstarter CBT Promo
  • life drawing
  • Love Soldiers
  • Mapping Festival 2011
  • Modelling
  • Music Video
  • Negotiated brief
  • personal work
  • post-production
  • Projected History
  • Sketchbook
  • sparkle mouse
  • Storyboards
  • timelapse
  • title sequence
  • virtual reality

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (20)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (2)
    • ►  January (3)
  • ►  2012 (12)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (1)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  February (1)
  • ▼  2011 (52)
    • ►  December (2)
    • ►  November (3)
    • ►  October (4)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (8)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  April (3)
    • ▼  March (5)
      • Cinematography - The Hoovering - final film
      • Post Production - super bins - final piece
      • Barista update
      • The ship continues.. Projected history update
      • Post progress
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (12)
  • ►  2010 (51)
    • ►  December (8)
    • ►  November (9)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  June (4)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (6)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (3)
  • ►  2009 (13)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (3)
    • ►  October (5)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile