Rca Tech Support

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Wednesday, 6 April 2011

Barista Post progress - rotoscoping complete :-)

Posted on 07:03 by Unknown
This has been a bit of an unforeseen mission! Generally speaking it has gone along fine but there have been a few moments of 'when will it end!' After keying out the blue colour, there was still a bit of grey fringing going on. On the good latte I thought it was necessary to keep all the hands in for Tom to trace over and create the cartoon hands. Half way through doing it Alex mentioned that I didn't need to worry about the hands as Tom could just start using the live action footage to trace over and then comp it later. I thought I may as well continue tracing areas out around the hands for the rest of the good latte and it could go on my showreel. On the bad latte I adopted a much simpler method as you will see further down..

Heres an image from the original footage.



I divided the images into groups of 50 and set up a work flow through composite, keying the images then adding several animated garbage masks to go over the grey zones. The grey fringing occurred because when I extracted all the blue background using the keyer it also extracted other parts of the image where the blue was reflected (such as parts of the cup.) So I could use keying but only to a certain extent.

Generally it was fine - I added around 5-10 masks for each 50 frames but for the penultimate 50 frames of the good latte I had to add over 30 animated masks! This was mainly to eliminate the grey fringing caused by motion blur from the hands and jug.

The first image shows the grey areas that needed extracting, then the next one shows all the masks that I needed to create to do it! This was after Alex told me I didn't have to worry about the hands so it was my own provocative.




This image is taken from the badly poured latte. In contrast to above, I did this way quicker. It just required 2 masks - 1 static mask for the cup then another animated one for the jug. As you can see I didn't worry about the arms or hands here. I kept the keyer applied to keep the colours consistent to the good latte.



Here is the result of my work. You can see white fringing around the hands in the good latte movie, but in practice once these are imported into animate pro and the transparency is set to straight the white fringing goes away so it shouldn't be a problem.





It feels good to say I have now completed this task!
(provided that Alex is happy with it..)
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in Barista, compositing, post-production | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • So it begins...the third year! My plan of action..
    Third year. The final year. Our last year. (On our Digital Animation BA for those of you who may not know what I'm on about.) Its a litt...
  • Post progress
    I have been working on this quite a bit over the last week. First, I looked at the animatic to figure out the timing of the actual shooting ...
  • Projected History.. My ship is now in ship shape! Woo!
    This project has been chugging along happily in the background alongside all our other projects and so it has taken a while but.. the ship i...
  • Inspirational! Oktapodi
    Love this!  It was made in Paris at Goblins School of the Image and won 13 awards. As far as I can tell it was a collaboration between 6 pe...
  • Cinematography - experimenting and time lapse
    I got out a P2 camcorder from the media desk on Friday to have a good play with it over the weekend.. One of the first things I wanted to tr...
  • cool light tracing animation
    Just came across this little gem on youtube.. Amazing! love the look of it - the contrast of bright colours against a dark background..
  • Rap video
    Heres a nice little rap video I came across.. I like the clever use of typography and colour synchronising smoothly with the lyrics. Its a b...
  • History and Theory of Animation - All my work so far
    Find below PDF files containing my first year essay, my second year Literature reviews, Film review and Dissertation proposal. The Historica...
  • Negotiated Brief - Music Video
    For this we are given free reign and can do anything we like (so long as it is related to animation.) This is a great chance for me to explo...
  • Fin. "The Incomplete Activist" with CreativeConnection
    My role As it was a small creative team, my job was not restricted into one small area, but traversed many roles. I was bought in from the s...

Categories

  • 2D
  • 3D
  • animatic
  • animation technology
  • Annecy animation festival
  • audio visual
  • Backgrounds
  • Barista
  • Cinematography
  • CND competition
  • compositing
  • Creative Connection
  • design/pre-production
  • Dissertation
  • editing
  • experimental
  • final Art Foundation project
  • History and Theory
  • inspiration
  • Keeping It Brief
  • Kernel
  • Kickstarter CBT Promo
  • life drawing
  • Love Soldiers
  • Mapping Festival 2011
  • Modelling
  • Music Video
  • Negotiated brief
  • personal work
  • post-production
  • Projected History
  • Sketchbook
  • sparkle mouse
  • Storyboards
  • timelapse
  • title sequence
  • virtual reality

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (20)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (2)
    • ►  January (3)
  • ►  2012 (12)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (1)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  February (1)
  • ▼  2011 (52)
    • ►  December (2)
    • ►  November (3)
    • ►  October (4)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (8)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ▼  April (3)
      • Fun in reverse
      • Barista Post progress - rotoscoping complete :-)
      • Projected History.. My ship is now in ship shape! ...
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (12)
  • ►  2010 (51)
    • ►  December (8)
    • ►  November (9)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  June (4)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (6)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (3)
  • ►  2009 (13)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (3)
    • ►  October (5)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile